A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen’s blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!
Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?
The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!
Buy from your local bookstore when possible. Or you can order here:
Recognition for The Runaway King
- Indie Next Spring 2013 Kids’ List
- Barnes and Noble Best Books of 2013 for Teens List
- Goodreads Finalist Best Children’s Book of 2013
- Amazon “Customer Favorites List of 2013″
- Whitney Award Finalist for Best Middle Grade Book 0f 2014
- “An exciting, breakneck tale” – Publisher’s Weekly
- “A swashbuckler fantasy in snarky first person” – The Trades
- “Readers will continue to find this arrogant, fearless, utterly reckless hero intriguing, fascinating, and complex as he battles the odds to protect the kingdom and people he now holds dear.” – Kirkus
- “Cleverly plotted and splendidly captivating, this involves much swordplay and what’s even more satisfying, psychological strategizing. An excellent adventure story, as is its predecessor.” – Toronto Star
- “The RUNAWAY KING is the type of novel that will excite reluctant readers to pick up a flashlight and read under the covers late into the night. Jaron’s voice will captivate and his close calls are thrilling.” – Deseret News
- “The story moves so well and Jaron tells it in such an engaging way, it’s hard to stop telling yourself “Just one more chapter…” – Stacked
- “The Runaway King comes with more dares, risks, and adventure, making this book the ultimate middle grade adventure. If you have not yet read THE FALSE PRINCE, I’m begging you to read this as soon as possible because you need to pick this one up now!” – YA Novelties
- “The author’s skill for plotting and characterization lives up to the high standards she set with THE FALSE PRINCE.” – Shelf Awareness
- “Delivers on every level of excitement and adventure. Middle grade readers and adults who are fans of non-stop action and quality writing will love reading this second book in the Ascendance Trilogy while finding it almost impossible to put down until the last page.” – Examiner.com
(British) Scholastic UK
Indonesian (PT Gramedia)
Catalan (La Galera)